Friday, May 25, 2012

Carlos Club in San Carlos


I haven’t been to Carlos Club in many years since I 1st lived in Redwood City back in 2003.  It has always been reknowned as a hot spot for karaoke for as long as I can remember.  I didn’t have many good experiences here in the past because it was just too busy and full of youngsters for me to really get a song in if at all!  It was poppin’ for sure, but still I’m not here for the scene.  I’m here to sing, mama!  Now that Patti & Gus of Center Stage Live have taken over the karaoke show here, it attracts an older more mature crowd which is great because the cops don’t trawl here so much anymore on Thursday nights.  I remember when it was a hot bed of police activity here on El Camino and San Carlos Avenues.  Add alcohol and young twenty somethings, and it just gets stupid.

Now it’s not nearly as packed and feels less claustrophobic than I remember.  Also the drinks are WAY better!  1st time I ordered a kamikaze here it took FOREVER to get to me, and it was all sour mix and ice.  BLECH!  Although I had a bad experience with my first drink ordered in nine years, I believe in giving the benefit of the doubt.  It was still a good drink because it was EXACTLY what I ordered.  It was just the price that I objected to.  I would definitely go for the drink specials if they were my type of drinks.  I’m a beer and whiskey kinda gal not a fruity drink gal.  The fruitiest drink I’ll order is a vodka cran, or screwdriver, maybe a greyhound.  I drink like an old man with a hard liver when inclined to do so, but those moments are rare and far between.  It depends on if I just broke up with someone.  Anyway, that’s why I sing karaoke for stress relief!  I digress as usual…

Patrick the singing bartender here on karaoke Thursday nights is really sweet.  He likes to sing oldies and the boy is younger than ME.  Oldies, I never tire of them, and they really never get “old.”  Everyone knows them, and every patron no matter what age can appreciate it.  That’s how I knew I was going to forgive him for the drink sitch, but honestly if someone asks you the price of a drink up front, it means they’re on a budget, and you should seriously give them a quote before pouring the drink, or I would have ordered something else cheaper.  He totally made it up to me tonight too by comping me a drink. J  I love that boy more and more.  Think I’ll sing him an oldies song tonight!

The great thing about this club is that it’s right across the street from San Carlos Caltrain station and there’s a bus stop right in front of the bar.  They also have a taxi service with Carlos Club’s name on the side and everything just like the Swinging Door which is smart because my last boyfriend got a DUI leaving here one night.  The cops in San Carlos and Belmont do NOT mess around.  If you are drunk and driving, they WILL catch you.  Samtrans doesn’t run very frequently because as far as I have been riding back and forth from here on many a night, I have yet to see a bus even pass ME on my side of the street EVER.  I’ll see a bunch people waiting for a bus, but nary a one will be in sight.  From San Bruno to San Carlos in either direction it takes an hour for me by bicycle.  It’s good exercise, and I enjoy night riding because it’s less stressful since the streets aren’t congested with crazy drivers.

You should seriously come check this venue out.  Their sound system is great.  Couches line the walls.  I dig the porthole fishbowl feeling of sitting in front of the round window facing El Camino too.  They have a nice modern vibe and décor.  It’s a lot more chill than it it used to be, and I’d like to see it back to its full glory again with people dancing and singing having a great time on the dance floor.  It’s a dance club any other night of the week if that’s your thing.  I’m a singer not a dancer, but I’ve been there for both.

1 comment:

  1. San Carlos Taxi service offer best services of luxury and dashing taxi service.

    ReplyDelete