Monday, September 5, 2011

Max's Opera House: Burlingame, CA

It's funny how revisiting this area has brought me into acquaintance again with so many people that I haven't seen in YEARS.  The memories just wash over me like a warm tide, comforting, and familiar.  I remember that the last time I ate here, it was my Senior Prom!  It has changed a lot.  It's definitely more modern than it was then.  The pavement hasn't improved any.  The cops are still just as bored lurking in the curve to the SFO Airport waiting on the sly for haphazard wahooers and/or speeders who've had too much to drink.

This place has had karaoke for many years, and I never even knew about it.  I'd never think that any of these hotel bars and/or restaurants along this short bay waterfront strip would host karaoke.  My cousins used to go to the Caribbean Gardens to dance here!  It's good to see some of the restaurants and hotels haven't changed names around here.  It is comforting when some things DON'T change.  I'm seeing now that I'm older that that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Sometimes progress moves too fast.  Other times it's too slow in coming, but I digress as usual...

Gus and Patti of Center Stage Live! are your hosts for karaoke here every Saturday and just down the road on Broadway at Behan's every Sunday night.  If you happen to be at Max's to collect your free birthday dessert, definitely try to plan it around a Sunday!  You'll see them there with their crooners serenading a very eager to serve you wait staff.  I happened to run into my high school friend Sylvia here hosting a going away party for her friend when I stopped in here the Sunday before last.  It's a small world!

We sang, we made merry, we watched the drunkards dance, and we laughed 'til our hearts' content.  They have a very large wide open dance floor area where they set up next to an actual piano.  I wonder if it actually works, and if they'd allow me to play it someday.  I bet I could cajole them into letting me.  I am very persuasive and charming when I want to be.  If I attend enough, I'm sure they will.  Let me play AND sing.  I'm no one trick pony.

Take it back old school.  That is exactly what Gus and Patti do!  Their list may not be the newest, but this duo is SOULFUL.  If you want to sing oldies, or soul, come out and sing with these two crazy cats because if you want to duet with them, they're just the harmony to your melody.  You can also find them at Brentwood Bowl every Monday night if you're ADHD enough to bowl 10 frames, drink dollar brew, eat dollar hotdogs, and sing, you might wanna check them out there!  I know I will.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment