Friday, April 20, 2012

Rocketfish Thursdays not just one KJ FOUR Rotate on Alternating Weeks


Rocketffish formerly Lingba Lounge here on 18th & Connecticut Streets is at karaoke again Thursday nights not that it ever really STOPPED except for a brief moment when it changed ownership!  Every 3rd Thursday of the month KJ Paul swaps shifts with Roger Niner of Butter & Swinging Door fame.  You can usually catch KJ Paul here on other Thursday nights, but on this particular Thursday he’s working at Jack’s Club on 24th & Utah Streets.

The same high energy and AMAZING song list that you’ve come to expect from Mr. Niner and his Lady Lala are present here tonight.  They make such a cute couple and team.  Love and karaoke stories, I’m a sucker for them!  To think they started out in Colorado transplanted here to California and made it is a success story untold.  They took a big risk, and they came out better for it, I’m sure.  They sure seem genuinely happy!

This bar has totally changed from the old wicker light fixtures laden with matching wicker hangin’ monkeys.  I loved those things!  The mural on the back wall of rainforest wild animals has been replaced with a brown wash that gives it a more warm rustic feel.  The curtains between the bathrooms and the main dining area are a very NICE touch giving it a more MODERN feel not to mention a more pleasant transition from bathroom to dining area where the karaoke equipment must sit!  The high ceilings give it drama, and the big metal art rocketfish above the bar grew on me as I've been back since it changed hands.

It always irked me how it was set up before.  I always felt I was intruding when karaoke was set up between the lavatory and central floor when KJ Kendo used to work here when it was an Asian Pan Pacific fusion restaurant/bar.  Now they are a sushi bar.  The staff is very genuinely courteous.  The artwork on the walls belong to local artists and rotates.  I love that!  The food has improved IMMENSELY here, I’m proud to state!  I don't know WHAT that last sushi roll was, but it had this nutty quality to it that just put it over the top of the previous favorite I had which had this fresh crisp watery flavor that hints at cilantro salsa almost.  DELICIOUS!

That they don’t harass a broke critic to buy a drink or food is nice because I HATE that.  They don’t know that I’m doing them a solid reviewing them favorably.  They will someday…  I’m here for karaoke, and I understand that you have it to attract paying customers, but when I come into my own YOU WILL TOO.  If you pester me, you won’t get a high recommendation from me!  That’s for damn sure!  See my past blog “The Critic vs The Bartender,” and read about me and Vlad.  Oh yes… he’s still there too… my nemesis!

Also subbing in for KJ Paul on Thursday nights will be Glenny Kravitz Karaoke Shark and DJ Purple according to my sources in the Karaoke Mafia.  I'll update you as soon as I have the rotation schedule down.  I'll be posting a brand new calendar of all the Bay Area karaoke spots from the Peninsula, East Bay, and San Francisco.  As soon as your critic gets a new to her motorcycle, I'll be able to give current accounts on South Bay venues and Contra Costa county sites as well.  Exciting stuff going down!  I'll keep you all abreast of it.  As soon as I know YOU'LL know. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment