Thursday, August 4, 2011

Karaoke gents and cads

Like any nightlife, karaoke has it's draw of prowlers.  I never really went to karaoke with the intention of picking up, EVER.  The draw for me is a rather obvious and selfish one.  I need the attention.  It satisfies my thirst for that limelight.  It nurtures my inner drama whore who LOVES performing arts and theater.  It also satisfies my soul on a level that I can't even begin to explain.  If I had an argument with my boyfriend, a bad day at work, if frustrated in anyway, I MUST report to the nearest karaoke spot IMMEDIATELY.  It's therapy for me.  I don't need alcohol like most do to gather the courage to grab that mic.

I met my ex boyfriend at karaoke at Sodini's in Redwood City.  He was the first and very likely the LAST guy I'll ever date from karaoke.  We can only have so many prima donnas in one room before someone gets ugly.  Let's not be deceived here.  It's always a competition for approval, applause, and love!  I didn't realize people actually came to karaoke to MEET people.  I was always there for me and me only.  As my friend Luke once commented about me, "it looks like you're in your own world."  I am.  I don't even see any of you.  My blinders are on in that moment, and I'm the song.  The song is me.  I own, feel, breathe every note and lyric.

There are quite a few guys I've met at karaoke that were good, even great, singers and handsome.  One stands out in my mind right now, and his agenda was very clear.  He wanted to get laid as often as possible.  It was very apparent in his body language.  I'm cocky.  I'm hot, and I'm going home with SOMEONE tonight.  I had a serious aversion to this guy because I knew exactly what he was about.  He was attractive, but his attitude and over confidence turned me completely off.  His partner in crime I had met a LONG time ago.  Not only was he a compulsive liar and a creep, he is a stalker and a potential rapist.  Birds of a feather flock together.

There are other karaoke gentlemen who are good looking, sing well, and actually RESPECT women.  They're here to have fun.  They like to see others having fun and want to be a part of it.  If they happen to meet a NOT-so-drunk cute girl unaccompanied by her usual gaggle of cock blocking friends who can sing, or not, that's a bonus!  I never really went to bars where attractive men went.  Most dives that had karaoke for YEARS didn't attract a younger crowd.  It's very typical for me to hear how much people hate karaoke and if there was karaoke at a venue, they wouldn't attend at all.  Karaoke has always been the last refuge the end up point for a drunken group of revellers at the end of the night.

It wasn't until I moved back to the City again, that I noticed the meat market vibe this new "hip" crowd brought to the activity.  I was used to being the prettiest and youngest girl in the dive I sang at three to four times a week.  Anyway, karaoke is always a good place to meet people.  Unlike clubs, you can actually have a conversation.  Unlike JUST another bar night, you have an ice breaker to discuss and lead into conversation, their performance, what song are you singing, you should sing this song, do you know this song, can you sing with me?

I can't guarantee you'll always meet quality people at karaoke, but you'll DEFINITELY meet some regulars, crooners, belters, balladeers among this varied cast of characters and karaoke groupies.  Don't judge them by their performance either.  Some of the best people I know can't sing to save their lives.  Just because they're tone deaf doesn't mean they're a bad people.

No comments:

Post a Comment