Friday, August 26, 2011

The Sapphire: Taste of Burma CLOSED


Gary Palmer is at it again with his second new karaoke venue in less than a week.   This time he's in San Francisco not San Bruno at a little spot on Sacramento between Battery and Sansome Streets.  For a laptop KJ, this man packs a LOT of gear! To avoid another sound mishap like that which occurred at Hooters two nights prior, he packed his own very powerful speakers. I felt bad for the patrons sitting a table away in front of it, but they didn't seem to mind. They actually seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely. They just had a common problem most do with the songlist, song overload and indecision.

This is more than just your average sports bar and restaurant in the heart of the Financial District of San Francisco. It actually has the trappings of a club. It's got a lot of open space perfect for dancing if one were so inclined and moved to do so by a crooner. It's got a great regular crowd with a very laid back chill vibe. I attribute this to their blue walls. I'm biased. You know me. I LOVE blue. You know I will DEFINITELY be back. It will be a regular Tuesday venue for Gary hopefully. *crossing fingers, arms, legs, toes, and eyes*

It's not a pub like that of your all wood Harrington's Bar and Royal Exchange down the street. Oh no, tucked away swallowed up between these tall commerce buildings is a modern hip little venue with great lasers and lights. Their sound system is great too! They've got two large house flat screen tv's dedicated to karaoke unless the Giants happen to be playing. Then it's only one monitor and the KJ's own. My only complaint as usual about some places is that they close too early. They're only open until 10 o'clock. That makes sense on a Tuesday night in that area of the City. Once all the worker bees have gone home, it's not very lucrative to keep a place open very late.

Aside from its sophisticated décor and karaoke, they have portions of healthy food offerings at reasonable prices and great happy hour drink specials. It makes you feel pacific and calm. It's hard enough to find a place to open early enough to serve breakfast in hard economic times like these where people are hesitant to spend. I had never sampled Burmese food before, and let me tell you. What I sampled, I liked very much. Enough about the food though. We're here to talk karaoke. You can read about my opinion of the food on yelp if you like.

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately, this is no longer a site for karaoke on Tuesdays. No KJ can work for tips alone. In other words, no one works for free! It's too bad. I really liked the ambiance. I could be biased because this is where I met my soulmate at karaoke of course. :)

    ReplyDelete